Terms of Endearment
- Noun. Alpine Skier.
- Noun. Alta local.
- Noun. Flailing newbie.
- Noun. Female rider. Often one who puts more energy into snow
fashion than snow riding.
- Crack of nooner
- Noun. Skier who (luckily for powder lovers) prioritizes
sleep over first chair.
- Fruit booter
- Noun. A skateboarder will tell you that a fruit booter is
a roller-blader. A skier will tell you that a fruit booter is
someone on mini-skis. A snowboarder will tell you that it's anyone
who wears hard boots.
- Noun. A person that enjoys standing on snow and watching
from a safe (or not so safe) distance.
- Grommet, Grom
- noun. Little rider. Named after the little rubber bushing found
on skateboard trucks.
- Noun. One who focuses on jumping and tricks. Tend to block
runs or congregate in wads.
- Noun. Scaled down version of a jibber.
- Knuckle Dragger
- Noun. Snowboarder. In particular, one who rides with cro-magnon, mad steeze.
- Moderate wind
- Noun. Person on chairlift that won't shut up.
- Newbie, Noob
- Noun. If you don't know what this word is than you definitely are one.
- Noun. A snow rider who's choice of timing and terrain offends
other riders, ski patrollers, gapers, land owners, wildlife,
religious figures, friends, and/or local authorities.
- Shred Betty
- Noun. Betty of
remarkable riding skills.
- Sled Necks
- Noun. Snow-mobiler.
- Noun. A tourist that is also a moron.
- Tray racer
- Noun. Snowboarder.
- Rat Stabber
- Noun. Flailing skier (notoriously of the telemark species)
that points their ski poles in odd and dangerous directions while
- Noun. I'm not sure what this means. I was hoping you could
tell me. While you're at it, do you know any good places to ski?
Can I go with you?
- Noun. Congregation of snowboarders sitting on the slope,
usually in an annoying position blocking from above or hidden
down below a slope feature.
- Weekend Warrior
- Trying to keep skiing 100 days a year when all you have is two days a week to do it.
With your help, the Freak's glossary of backcountry ski and snowboard
terminology can become the best on the internet. Have a term to
contribute? Connect through the freak-sync.